Thursday, May 13, 2010

March and April



March 2010


I was busy with work during March and April, and am just getting around to finishing and posting for those months. I actually had the March piece done some time ago, but just finished April today. I'm finding that I put less pressure on myself this year, which is a good thing to learn!

March's piece features a machined metal piece that comes from my friend and beady buddy Erin Hook, who found a big bin of them at her last place of work. The entire bin was being discarded as trash, and Erin thought they could make a great necklace, especially in the 'punk' style so popular now. They are actually pieces from a Ford transmission. How appropriate for a beader from Michigan! The color gray was interesting to work with and I consciously wanted the design to be angular and severe. The technical challenge was working around the space where the metal piece was going to be cradled. I added it last and secured it with beads.
I haven't actually looked at my first 4 pieces together, so I have no idea what overall impression they will send when all the pieces are done. It's all beads, so it is all good!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an imaginative use of this car part! It's so interesting to look at -- the grays set it off perfectly!

Robin said...

Everything about this piece works, Margaret... So Michigan... grey late winter days, grey manufacturing, polished parts precisely machined. Who would think to put a part like this with beads? It's a fabulous idea and a fabulous piece.

Good to hear you're not putting so much pressure on yourself this year... I think your work reflects that in a wonderful way!

Crazy Mama said...

such an interesting use of the car part! who knew they could be used so creatively in a beaded piece? the curves of the metal are contrasted with the sharp angles of the bead design...it's very creative!

Magpie Sue said...

Both pieces are beautiful. I've been reading some steampunk novels lately and the gray one has that look about it. Very cool!

I also love that you're just getting started on your May piece. I fell behind in March and April too. Still have to finish up my piece for April; don't have much of an idea what I'll do for May.