Sunday, February 28, 2010

February is Amethyst


February's piece was wonderful fun, and went more smoothly than I expecteed. The three 'found' pieces are amethysts from my bead class friend, Pat Chipman, who says she found them near an amethyst mine she toured in Thunder Bay. Thank you Pat! They are perfect! I used fabric paint to color the Lacy's stiff stuff, and I think it makes a nice background. The pattern makes me think of ripples from a drop of water, or gravity fields. I'm not sure why so technical! I like following the thin line of beads running between the chips, and how it connects and divides.
I raided my stash for everything in the purple family, and used hexes, 15's, 11's, 8's, 6's, delicas and megatamas. I'm continuing with my goal to cover the entire space with beads, and practiced back stitch this month. Next month I want to try practicing couching, which I find very challenging. Several people are holding onto found pieces for me, so I'm eager to see them and pick the piece for March.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I even read your text, I noticed and appreciated the thin line of beads connecting the chips. This is lovely, all shades of my favorite color, and very well done with keeping that flow going.

Carol Creech said...

Beautiful! I love the colors. And I really like the thin line of beads connecting throughout the piece. Great work!

Carol said...

What a great way to attach those amethysts! So retty!

Cyndi L said...

That's really interesting the way you chose to break up the outlining!

Magpie Sue said...

Lovely pieces of amethyst and lovely work to go with them!