Thursday, May 13, 2010

April 2010

This piece is my favorite so far. It features a piece of coral my sister Teresa Honnold found years ago. My husband used a dremel tool to cut it in half, so it would have a flat back. It was not a pleasant smell and it took forever. But I ended up with 2 nice pieces of coral and will use the other one in some kind of project as a birthday present for my sister.
The shape of the coral inspired the flowing long green lines, like underwater sea weed. The color green is so appropriate for April and May in Michigan. All the grass and trees and bushes just burst with that life giving color. We've had a couple of days of rain, and when the sun comes out tomorrow the different shades and tones of green will be electric.
Since it almost mid-May, I better get started on it. I have a piece of drift wood from my friend Denise Billups-Walker, and blue will be the color.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this centerpiece of actual coral with the flow all around it, lovely!

Penny said...

I love your use of 'found object' - its always more meaningful when we can include something we've found along the way or even better something that someone dear has given to us.

Cyndi L said...

How lovely that you got a "twofer" out of the coral! I'm sure your sister will love whatever you make for her :-)

Robin said...

Oh my goodness, Margaret, you certainly did capture that electric green. I grew up in MN, so I know exactly what you mean. Nice to have it come back in such a vivid visual memory, thanks to your piece and words.

Great that your husband was able to cut the coral piece in half and that you can make a piece for your sister with it. Hope you'll post that too!

Crazy Mama said...

the green just seems to float and swim around the coral. there are so many shades to identify the beauty of green. it's really beautiful.

beadbabe49 said...

I am just loving this whole series, margaret, and looking forward to each new month.

Robbie said...

I love both of your pieces! They are so unique and very clever how you incorporated the machine piece in March!

Unknown said...

I love that you are using found objects, they always seem to give extra depth to a project. The coral is so pretty and all those different shades of green flowing around it really make it pop. All your beadwork is wonderful and I really enjoy seeing what you create.