Wednesday, February 4, 2009

January


Snowflakes all over the place! We've had a near record snowfall so far this season, and snowflakes were a natural theme. It was fun to make so many varieties of snowflakes. The lampworked snowflake on the right was an easy disk with built up dots of clear and white. I thought about etching it, but left it shiny. I actually made 2, and used the other for a friend's birthday necklace. I'll have to borrow it back and take a picture.
I was a little concerned about this piece being so monochromatic, but I figure that this month is pretty monochromatic! Plus, when I get all the pieces joined, this piece might provide a little rest for the eyes, since my other pieces have plenty of color.
I'm still debating February. I could do hearts, and that would challenge me to make some lampworked hearts. I'm a little late getting started, but I'll catch up, I promise! I was busy in January helping our beadmakers group plan our annual retreat. We took over a bed&breakfast in Kalamazoo, and also had the wonderful facilities of the West Michigan Glass Society. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. We just played for almost 3 days, with member taught classes, evening workshops and lots of laughter. This was our 3rd year sponsoring the retreat, and each year gets better. We've already booked next year!

7 comments:

a2susan said...

Hi, Margaret. Somehow I missed your Dec. piece. I really like both these pieces, Dec. and Jan. And Jan. certainly was monochromatic - snow colors - new snow, old snow, plowed snow...

I heard from Hollie that you had a great retreat! Good to have fun in the middle of winter.
Susan

pam T said...

Very nice page... I like snowflakes! I am sorry to hear about you losing a friend to breast cancer. that makes me sad for you and her family. I shall keep all in my prayers...

KV said...

Lovely page, Margaret!


Kathy V in NM

Robin said...

Just like the real thing... every snowflake different, every one a piece of art... together they look beautiful, just as they do when I'm snug inside and looking out the window as they fall.

Glad you had a fun glass retreat... must have helped with the winter blahs and the losses you've had recently.

I just looked back at all of your pieces. They will look stunning together!

Hugs, Robin A.

Marty S said...

Wonderful snowflakes! I like that you made so many different kinds.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

heidibeads said...

This is my favorite kind of snowflake - the kind I don't have to shovel! These are beautiful and all different. Someone told me yesterday that it was only 41 days til SPRING! I can't wait. Nice page. I'm sorry about your friend. I know she will be missed by many.

Timaree said...

It's good to have some play time with like-minded buddies!

Snow and drab colors do seem to spell winter. But snow also sparkles and you've got that down on your page too.